WATCH: Governor Ron DeSantis Returns Florida To The Dark Days Of Anita Bryant
Governor Ron DeSantis is taking a page from Anita Bryant’s playbook, using anti-LGBTQ legislation like "Don't Say Gay" as a springboard to serve his national political ambitions. From banning books and electronic monitoring of teachers to white-washing history and allowing the state to dictate our health care decisions, Governor DeSantis is committed to an agenda of censorship and surveillance that intrudes on all aspects of our lives.
His political agenda is driven not by the real pressing needs of our state but his desire to peel away Trump supporters as the two Floridians jockey for the 2024 Republican presidential primary. He is willing to inflict harm on the most vulnerable in our state in order to shore up his extremist base.
Help us stop the DeSantis Censorship and Surveillance State Agenda.
What's Next For The "Don't Say Gay" Bill (HB 1557 / SB 1834):
The bill has passed through its first two committees in the Florida Legislature. It has one more committee stop in the Florida House (Judiciary) and two more committee stops in the Florida Senate (Appropriations and Rules) before a full vote in both chambers. Governor Ron DeSantis has already signaled his support for this anti-LGBTQ bill.
- Call Florida lawmakers today telling them to oppose this bill — and let us know if you got through to speak with them.
- Speaker of the House Chris Sprowls: (850) 717-5065
- Senate President Wilton Simpson: (850) 487-5010
- Representative Joe Harding (House Bill Sponsor): (850) 717-5022
- Senator Dennis Baxley (Senate Bill Sponsor): (850) 487-5012
- Send an email to lawmakers right away telling them to vote NO on the "Don't Say Gay" bill.